Research Analyst: Food and Nutrition Technology
Our client is a leading provider of intelligence services, helping clients drive growth through technology innovation. With quality data derived from primary research, fact-based analysis, and opinions that challenge traditional thinking, clients are empowered to make better, informed decisions today to ensure future success. A pioneer in the research industry, this firm is uniquely positioned with technical expertise in addition to business insights, augmented by advanced analytics.
The firm is seeking candidates for a Research Analyst focused on food technologies. This is a great opportunity for a scientist looking to get out of a lab or development role and focus on bigger picture technology innovation and commercialization on a global scale.
Analysts in this role will evaluate a wide range of technologies and applications including:
- Novel ingredients
- Alternatives to conventional proteins
- Food packaging innovations
- Free-from and clean label enabling processing methods
- Relationships between the microbiome and nutrition
And address questions like:
- What novel ingredient sources show promise?
- How do novel processing technologies impact diverse food forms?
- How do appliance innovations impact consumer food choices?
- What is the future of the protein industry?
- What are emerging companies doing to create better and cheaper packaging solutions?
The strongest candidates will be those who are looking to use their expertise to assess the commercial viability and roadmap for emerging technologies. This position does not involve lab-work or technology development; rather it involves building on technical expertise through additional primary and secondary research to identify the best business opportunities and biggest risks for clients.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Work with a team of expert research team members to develop and test research hypotheses and prepare findings for clients.
- Coach; mentor and manage research team members; assist with team members’ professional development.
- Conduct primary interviews for written research reports, including developing and executing sets of interviews with senior-level executives at large corporations, technology start-ups, and other organizations.
- Conduct secondary research drawing on diverse sources, including business and trade press, academic publications, patent filings, and conference presentations.
- Produce written research reports, including creative visual depictions of data and ideas.
- Manage client deliverables and interactions.
- Help develop and launch new client service offerings.
- Develop a network of contacts and relationships among business and scientific leaders in emerging technologies.
WHAT IT TAKES:
Analysts are the bedrock of the research team, conducting the primary and secondary research that powers the firm’s research reports and consulting engagements. Analysts spend most of their time conducting primary research interviews with executives, researchers, and thought leaders; chasing down data points; analyzing quantitative data; devising creative ways to present data and ideas visually; and helping manage the operations of a rapidly-growing, geographically-dispersed team and develop more inexperienced or junior level team members.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum two years’ work or postgraduate experience with technical experience in one or more of the following: food science, nutrition biochemistry, formulation, food chemistry.
- A strong record of academic achievement. Bachelor’s degree in food science, nutrition, biochemistry, food chemistry, or similar is required. Advanced degrees in these disciplines are preferred.
- English fluency (oral and written) is required. Foreign language fluency is desirable.
- Experience managing/professional mentoring others.
- Deep intellectual curiosity about emerging technologies.
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to meet client needs in a fast-moving, rapidly growing, startup environment.
- Entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, collegial, and collaborative approach to work.
- High degree of organization and attention to detail; ability to juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to write clearly and incisively about business and technical topics.
- Superior listening and critical thinking skills, and ability to speak articulately and think on your feet; a good sense of humor is a major plus.
- Strong analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Excellent office software skills and ability to touch type
This firm is a leading provider of intelligence services, helping clients drive growth through technology innovation. With quality data derived from primary research, fact-based analysis, and opinions that challenge traditional thinking, clients are empowered to make better, informed decisions today to ensure future success. A pioneer in the research industry, the firm is uniquely positioned with technical expertise in addition to business insights, augmented by advanced analytics. The firm serves clients on six continents from offices in Boston, New York, Amsterdam, Tokyo, and Singapore; their analysts are a diverse mix of consulting professionals, market researchers, and Ph.D. scientists and engineers. This unique blend of capabilities helps to link science-driven innovation to its business impact.
Applicants should contact our search firm: